The Stellwagen Organ in St. Mary's Church
The organ in St. Mary's Church in Stralsund was built by Friederich Stellwagen from 1653 to 1659. Born in Halle an der Saale in 1603, Stellwagen made his way to Hamburg around 1630 to serve as an associate under Gottfried Fritzsche, the court organ builder of the Electorate of Saxony, and took up residence in Lübeck in 1633 or 1634. Here he expanded the little organ in St. James's Church and rebuilt both organs in St. Mary's Church. The new building of the organ for St. Mary's Church in Stralsund, completed a few months prior to the master's death in October 1659, was with its fifty-one speaking stops for Chief work, Oberpositiv, Rückpositiv, and Pedal and installation in a case towering up more than twenty
the high point of his work.